Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Baby Bump Envy

Am I really pregnant? I know it seems like a silly question since I have the ultrasound photos to prove it, but I think I feel too great to be pregnant! In the past two weeks, the nausea has subsided and aside from looking like I just ate a cheeseburger, I am still not showing. 

I have been reading What to Expect When You’re Expecting (commonly referred to as my “pregnancy bible”) religiously. During last Sunday night’s weekly reading,  I realized I am not experiencing any of the typical “issues” or “symptoms” of a  typical pregnancy. At this point, you are probably thinking, why is she complaining- the typical symptoms are horrible! I guess I just thought my pregnancy would follow more in line with what I hear and read.

There are several people I know who are also pregnant and due around the same time as me.  When they post their growing belly photos, I have to admit I get a little jealous. Everyone keeps reminding me to enjoy it now, because in a few months it will be more than evident that I am pregnant.  Some say I am going through what is commonly referred to as “baby bump envy.” Maybe this little peanut is just shy and isn’t ready to start showing his/herself off to the world yet… At least that’s what I keep telling myself.

As promised, I have to share an experience my husband and I had during our 14 week doctor’s appointment.  During our visit, Dr. Wesley Hodgson, our obstetrician, wanted to hear the baby’s heartbeat, standard protocol. I could feel the anticipation building with excitement and worry.  After applying the belly goo, Dr. Hodgson puts the little microphone on my belly and as I glance at Tom, I see he is smiling.

Eagerly waiting for what feels like forever, I cannot help but worried that something in wrong. Finally we hear the strong and steady heartbeat and we know our little peanut is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment